My first foray into the world of chalk paint was using the Rustoleum spray on chalk paint to refashion my sewing machine cabinet. It was a good product and I fell in LOVE with the finish. This week for Try It Tuesday, I revisit the wonderful world of chalk paint with a tail of TWO chalk paints.
For several years now we have been working on our biggest home improvement project…the kitchen. YEARS. Bit by bit we are getting there and I have to believe we are in the home stretch. We bought new cabinets 16 years ago and while they have served us well, they are starting to get chipped and worn. Plus, last year we decided to take the cabinets all the way to the ceiling with the addition of short upper cabinets from a local building supply warehouse. The new cabinets are unfinished so to make them all match, we decided to paint.
I asked a friend of mine who is really into the chalk paint and who has a LOT of practical experience with it, if she thought that chalk paint would be suitable for my situation. She said it would and said that she ONLY uses Annie Sloan Chalk Paints. “It’s expensive”, she said, “but totally worth it. It spreads like butter and covers really well.”
Well, my mother’s from Missouri so I guess I have a bit of “show me” in me. I wasn’t convinced that I needed to pay $36 for a pint of paint. I mean, that spray on chalk paint worked just fine, why wouldn’t the $18 pint of brush on paint? (This is where my friend is going to start with the told you so’s.)
I was going for a kind of nicked up, shabby look, something like this:
I liked that dark showing through the yellow. So I bought a can of flat black and a can of “English Mustard” Rustoleum Chalked Paint. I started by brushing the black on all of the corners and anywhere I might want to “knock it off” to achieve my look. Then I covered over it with the chalk paint and sanded the corners here and there.
The paint was only OK. I really wanted it to be better than OK. After 2 coats, the coverage was not quite adequate and it was clear that a third would be needed. The brush marks hard to get smooth. It did spread like butter…cold butter, but it was not the spreadability of the product or the smoothness that brought me to my next move, it was the cost.
I purchased a couple of small pots of the Annie Sloan paint, in “Graphite” and “English Yellow”. This is where I eat my thrifty words…OH MY THE DIFFERENCE! It was smooth, it covered well and I love the color more than the first.
One coat of Annie Sloan’s (L) and 2 coats of Rustoleum Chalked (R)
Again, Annie on the left, Rustoleum on the right.
If I was going to have to put 3 coats on all of the cabinets, I wasn’t saving any money over buying the expensive brand. In this case kids, you get what you paid for.
That one little pot did the outside of the cabinet on the left, the left side of the smaller cabinet I painted with the Rustoleum, the bottom of the upper cabinets and the front of one door. Good thing too, because it allowed The Hubs to install his latest creation:
This is a pot rack he made for me out of the wrought iron “Widow’s Walk” railing we purchased as our Christmas gift. More on this beauty next week…